Paula's Choice Ingredient Dictionary:
- Enhances the silky-smooth spreadabilty and sensorial feel of a product
- Promotes even distribution other ingredients in a formula
- Quickly evaporates from skin’s surface without leaving a heavy feel (velvety film left behind is permeable, meaning this siloxane doesn’t suffocate skin)
- Popular in a wide range of skin and hair care products (lightweight silicone)
- Also functions as a solvent to dissolve and deliver ingredients to skin
EWG Skin Deep Assessment:
Neurotoxicity (low), Endocrine disruption (low), Persistence and bioaccumulation (moderate), Non-reproductive organ system toxicity (moderate), and Ecotoxicology (low)
= Moderate dose in rate suggested dopamine D2-receptor behavior on pituitary cells - Jean PA, McCracken KA, Arthurton JA, Plotzke KP 2005b. Investigation of octamethylcyclotetrasiloxane (D4) and decamethylcyclopentasiloxane (D5) as dopamine D2- receptor agonists. Toxicologist 84(S-1):370.
\ [Endocrine Disruption]
= Increased anogenital distance observed in rats at a moderate dose - Siddiqui WH, Stump DG, Reynolds VL, Plotzke KP, Holson JF, Meeks RG 2007. A two- generation reproductive toxicity study of decamethylcyclopentasiloxane (D5) in rats exposed by whole-body vapor inhalation. Reprod Toxicol. 23(2):216-25.
\ [Persistance and Bioaccumulation]
= Persistent, bioaccumulative in wildlife - Canada PBTs-Accelerated Reduction/Elimination of Toxics (ARET)
\ [Non-reproductive organ system toxicity]
= Classified as expected to be toxic or harmful - Environment Canada Domestic Substance List
= Uterine tumors in female rats - Dow Corning Corporation 2005. Decamethylcyclopentasiloxane: A 24-month combined chronic toxicity and oncogenicity whole body vapor inhalation study in Fischer-344 rats. Dow Corning Report No. 2005-1000-54953. 4062.
= Suspected to be an environmental toxin and be persistent or bioaccumulative - Environment Canada Domestic Substance List
= Suspected to be an environmental toxin - Environment Canada Domestic Substance List